This traditional pudding cake recipe was inspired by a Canadian Living version of mini pudding cakes. Like the cake, these are moist and filled with deliciousness that is hard to pinpoint, meaning you would probably not guess there are dates in the cake. It is one of my favorite desserts and can be made ahead, frozen and reheated to serve warm with a caramel sauce. A perfect dessert after your Christmas meal.
- 1 cup dates, chopped fine and 1 cup water
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup butter, melted and cooled or very soft
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2/3 cups butter
- 2/3 cups brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp corn syrup
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- whipped cream for garnish
- In saucepan, bring finely chopped dates and water to boil and continue simmering for about 5 minutes until soft. Turn off heat and add baking soda, stirring to mash well. (it will bubble) Add vanilla, Set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease 12 count regular muffin pan or 8 count giant muffin pan. I prefer the giant size for a better spread of the cake. (Fill 4 empty wells half -way with water.)
- In mixing bowl, beat sugar and eggs until pale.
- Stir in melted butter and then date mixture.
- Combine dry ingredients and stir into wet, until smooth.
- Fill muffin tins (larger ones half way) and bake about 20 minutes, until toothpick cake test done.
- In the meantime, mix sauce ingredients in saucepan and bring to soft boil. Stir and cook on low heat about 7 minutes, until thick and creamy. This can be kept in a sealed jar and re-heated to serve.
- When mini cakes come out of the oven, poke with large fork. Spoon 1 Tbsp of sauce over each cake and let sit for about 10 minutes.
- Invert cakes onto serving plates. Serve with warm sauce. If you make these ahead, invert into container with lid to freeze or keep in fridge one day. To serve warm, thaw, wrap loosely in foil and reheat for 10 minutes in oven. Serve with warm sauce and a dollop of whipped cream.