I owe Judy credit for this recipe. I wanted to make her Jello Sugar Cookies and had the butter and sugar mixed together before I realized I did not have 2 packages of jelly powder.
What I did have was one package of Lemon Pie Filling Mix so I used that and these cookies have received rave reviews from guests.
- 3- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 cup softened butter (use the real thing)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 package Lemon Pie Filling Mix (the kind that needs sugar added)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 375 F
- Mix together the flour and baking powder and set aside.
- Beat the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl and add the Lemon Pie Filling Mix.
- Add the egg and Vanilla and beat until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients and stir until combined.
- Chill the dough one hour at least.
- Roll the dough out on a pastry mat using a bit of flour to sprinkle on the counter.
- Using a pastry wheel with a scalloped edge. .measure and mark your dough at equal intervals and then cut the dough into squares or rectangles.
- Sprinkle. .colored sugar or sprinkles over the dough and carefully place the cookie rectangles on a cookie sheet that is parchment paper lined.
- Bake 8 - 10 mintues or until golden browned.
- Remove to wire racks and drizzle with a simple sugar icing. Let dry and then store in a airtight container in the freezer.
These cookies will make a perfect little stack to wrap in cellophane to give as hostess gifts.