This simple Black Forest trifle in a mug is sure to go quick . . . but if not, rather than being left with a messy bowl, you have dessert for another day. These keep well, refrigerated, for several days.
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup oil
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 Tbsp baking cocoa
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 can cherry pie filling
- 1 small pkg instant chocolate fudge pudding
- 2 cups milk for pudding
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- chocolate shavings or mint candy, crushed
- Prepare a large rimmed cookie sheet (11x17) by greasing, lining with wax paper and greasing again.
- Bring water, butter and oil to boil.
- Add hot liquids to combined flour, sugar, cocoa, soda in bowl.
- Stir in buttermilk, eggs and vanilla.
- Spread into prepared pan and bake at 350 F for 20 minutes.
- After cooling, cut out 24 rounds with cookie cutter or glass to fit mugs or small jars.
- Place a round of chocolate cake in the bottom of 12 mugs.
- Top with two tablespoons of cherry pie filling.
- Beat whipping cream with sugar, then top cherry filling with two tablespoons of whipped cream.
- Top whipped cream with second layer of cake, then add two - three tablespoons of prepared chocolate fudge pudding.
- Top with whipped cream and chocolate or mint. To make chocolate shavings use a potato peeler on semi sweet dark chocolate.