3 lb pork loin or rib roast
2 Tbsp butter
2 apples, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1/4 c dried apricots, chopped
1/4 c prunes, chopped
2 Tbsp frozen orange juice concentrate
1 - 2 Tbsp minced fresh thyme
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 tsp cinnamon
- In a small pot, melt butter, add apples and cook about 5 min., stirring until lightly browned.
- Add apricots, prunes and juice, and continue cooking until fruit is tender and liquid has evaporated.
- Season with half the thyme, salt and pepper. Cool.
- Cut a pocket into side of roast. (see photo below)
- Fill pocket and tie up with kitchen twine.
- Season roast with salt pepper, thyme and cinnamon.
- Spray roasting pot with oil and bake roast at 350 F( uncovered) for 30 min. Cover and bake another 60 – 75 minutes, until meat thermometer inserted in center shows 160 F (71 C) remove from oven onto plate, cover and let sit for 20 min. before serving.
I like to add cut up potatoes, yams, carrots and left over fruit filling for the last hour of roasting. Once I've removed the vegetables onto a serving platter I shake up a Tbsp of flour with about 1 cup of water and add it to the drippings to make a bit of gravy to drizzle over the roast. Season to taste.