Here is just a tiny glimpse of what you will see in our home on Christmas Eve.
The Hazelnut Roll has been a favorite in our home for many years.
It came from a long time acquaintance who could not eat flour.
So she shared this dessert with us and it was voted a keeper in our home.
It does take some time and patience, therefore when I set out do this task,
I make sure I have a morning free and I always make two rolls.
Do not try to baby sit in between....
Do not double the recipe.
I make them individually.
Take it straight out of the freezer and serve it.
Hazel Nut Roll
- 1 1/4C. ground hazelnuts
- 6 eggs
- 3/4 C sugar
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. almond extract
- 1 tsp. Baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 11/2 C Whip Cream
- 1/4 C. sifted icing sugar
- Purchased chocolate hazelnut spread.
- Grease 15x10 cookie sheet. Line with parchment paper and grease again.
- Heat oven to 350'
- Using a mixer, beat sugar and egg yolks on high speed for 5 minutes.
- Beat in extracts. Beat one more minute.
- In separate bowl add ground hazelnuts, baking powder, and salt - mix well with fork.
- Combine hazelnut mixture with sugar mixture. Beat for 2 more minutes.
- Beat egg whites till stiff, but not dry.
- Fold egg whites into the cake batter by hand.
- Spread batter in prepared pan. Bake for 20 -25 minutes.
- Flip cake onto damp cold tea towel, sprinkled with icing sugar, to prevent the cake from sticking.
- Remove the parchment paper.
- Roll the cake up in the towel; let cool for 15-30 minutes.
- Unroll and trim off crusty edges if necessary.
- Spread with a layer of chocolate hazelnut spread. I use Nutella.
- Then add a layer of whipped cream. I add a stabilizer to the whipped cream. It should be stiffly whipped, otherwise it is too difficult to roll up.
- Roll up the cake once more and garnish with additional cream and hazelnuts.
- Freeze the hazelnut roll on a cookie sheet for several hours until hard; then wrap with plastic wrap and seal it in a plastic bag. .
If you can't figure it out, stop by and I will serve you a piece with freshly roasted coffee.
I've made my order for fresh hazelnuts and so can you, by contacting Poplar Grove Arbor,
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone: 604-796-2550