This Salmon Quiche is great the day it is made and is just as tasty reheated in the oven the next day.
My mom in law makes this and I'm always happy to take home a few slices for our lunch the next day. You can use your favourite pastry recipe or purchase unbaked frozen pie shells to put this together in minutes.
- 1 unbaked 10 inch pie shell
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 5 eggs
- 2 cups light cream
- 2 cups shredded Swiss or Gruyere Cheese
- 14 ounces / 398 ml canned salmon, drained and flaked
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh dill (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Line the unbaked frozen or fresh pie shell with heavy foil. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove foil and set crust aside.
- Fry onion in butter in a small fry pan.
- In a medium bowl, beat together, eggs and light cream. Add salt and fresh dill.
- Place salmon evenly over the bottom of the baked pie shell. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Pour egg and cream mixture over salmon and cheese.
- Reduce oven temperature to 375F and bake for 45 minutes or until knife comes out clean when tested in the center.
- To reheat the next day, place individual pieces of quiche on a baking sheet and warm in 350F oven for 20 minutes.