Cornbread is one of those side dishes that I think about when we have chili. It is also delicious with soup or as a dessert with butter and honey. Now that I often cook for two again, it is fun to use this small cast iron pan I received as a gift from a friend. You can double the recipe to make it in a large cast iron, regular loaf pan or 9 x 9 baking pan.
- butter or margarine to grease pan
- 3/4 cups flour
- 3/4 cups cornmeal
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350 F and grease pan well.
- Combine dry ingredients in mixing bowl.
- In a small bowl beat eggs with fork, add in the oil and buttermilk to combine.
- Add liquids to dry ingredients and stir until blended in well.
- Spread into prepared pan and bake 25 - 30 minutes.