Our favorite salad in Autumn includes roasted vegetables and crunchy apples with a creamy maple walnut dressing.
If the apples you use brown quickly, add them at the last minute.
- 2 beets
- 1 yam
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 head living butter lettuce
- 1 package baby spinach, stems removed
- 2 cups finely chopped red cabbage
- 1 red large pepper, diced
- 1 apple, diced
- 1/2 cup salted pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup slivered toasted almonds
- cubed feta cheese
- Peel beets and yam and cut into 1/2 inch cubes. Arrange beets and yam separately in a single layer on two parchment paper lined cookie sheets and drizzle with oil
- Bake at 400 for 30 - 45 minutes or until beet and yam cubes are tender. Cool on cookie sheet. This can be done the day ahead and refrigerated.
- Arrange lettuce, spinach, cabbage and red pepper on a large platter.
- Top with roasted vegetables, apple, seeds and nuts and feta cheese.
- Place dressing in a small serving jug and serve alongside the salad.
- 1/2 cup walnuts **
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/3 cup maple syrup or liquid honey
- 1/4 cup apple juice *
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup walnut or canola oil
- Place all ingredients in a blender jar and process until smooth. Refrigerate. Shake well just before serving.
- *Dressing will thicken in the refrigerator. If using immediately, cut back apple juice to 2 tablespoons. Add additional juice if necessary for leftover dressing.
- **Walnuts must be fresh tasting. I buy a large bag and keep it in the freezer. Taste the walnuts before making the dressing to ensure they are fresh tasting.
Thank you to everyone who shared your stories of learning to cook on Saturday's Back to Foods Class post. It was so interesting and I think that like many of you, reading those stories took me down my own memory lane. I had a Mom that was willing for me to learn as long as I cleaned up after myself and there were no dishwashers back then. I'm sure I used every measuring cup and every spoon she had.
The randomly selected winner is Jane and her comment is pasted below. Jane, please leave your contact info (name, email address and mailing address) in a comment on our Contact Page. It won't be published.