My son has an apple tree on his yard that produces amazing apples that turn a beautiful deep red in fall. We've had a few frosts and yet the apples on the tree are sweet and crisp!
The plate is a gift from my granddaughter, Kayla. She knows I like new plates once in awhile for food photo-ops. I love it!
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 3/4 cups old fashioned oats
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup butter
- 2 cups apples
- 2 cups applesauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together first four dry ingredients.
- With a pastry blender cut in butter until crumbly.
- Press half of this mixture in a greased 9 x 13" pan.
- Place apple slices on top of the mixture.
- Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon.
- Spread applesauce over the apple layer.
- Top with remaining crumbs.
- Bake in 375º oven for 40 minutes or until golden brown in color.
- Cut in squares and serve warm with ice cream.