- 3/4 cups butter and lard or shortening mix (half and half)
- 2 cups flour
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 2 Tbsp sour cream
- 1 egg white, whisked for egg wash
- 5 nectarines sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1 Tbsp minute tapioca or cornstarch
- coarse sugar for sprinkling
- With pastry blender, cut butter/shortening into flour, sugar and salt until it is coarsely crumbled. Sprinkle with combined water and sour cream.
- Stir with fork until all the dry ingredients are absorbed and you can shape it into a ball.
- Divide into six to make giant size tarts.
- Shape each wedge into a circle and roll out to a 6 inch circle on floured surface.
- Gently drop into muffin tin, folding/fluting sides roughly. (If you wash your pans in the dishwasher you may want to spray them. Hand-washed are fine without spray.)
- Brush inside and tops with egg wash.
- Combine sugar, flour and minute tapioca, then mix with nectarines. Divide among tarts.
- Sprinkle generously with coarse sugar.
- Bake at 375 F for 30 minutes. If tops become dark, cover loosely with foil, but be sure to bake until syrup filling bubbles/cooks. Cool for at least 15 minutes before removing to wire rack.
- These freeze well and can be reheated to serve single servings or a serving to share with a mound of ice cream.
- 1 cup coffee cream, divided
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 tsp real vanilla powder or 1 tsp vanilla extract
In saucepan, bring 3/4 cup cream to almost boiling point.
Combined sugar and egg, adding 1/4 cup cream,
Stir into hot cream in small saucepan and continuing to stir, until it comes to a gentle boil. Add vanilla.