Attention, all you chocolate lovers out there!
Here's a cookie guarrenteed to please.
They are full of chocolatey goodness and have a similar texture to ginger snaps
(I'll post my recipe for those at a later date)
I brought a box full of them to our neighbourhood BBQ last night and
they disappeared in no time flat!
- 1 1/2 cups butter or margarine
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 2 tablespoons shortening or margarine*
- 4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
*Because I used cocoa instead of unsweetened melted chocolate in this recipe, I needed to add 2 tablespoons shortening to complete the substitution.
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- In bowl of stand mixer, beat together the butter, sugar and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla and the eggs one at a time, beating in between each addition.
- Add cocoa and the 2 tablespoons of shortening and blend well.
- Add remaining dry ingredients and mix until blended.
- Refrigerate mixture for a minimum of 1 hour for easier handling.
- Scoop out dough on to cookie sheets using a cookie scoop or soup spoon. Leave room for the cookies to spread during baking.
- Roll each scoop of dough into a 1 1/2" ball.
- Dip each ball into sugar covering the tops.
- Bake in 350º oven for about 10 minutes. Cookies will puff up a bit in the oven.
- When you take them out, drop the pan on the counter so the cookies will "deflate". This makes them extra chewy.
- Cool on pan for 3-5 minutes and then remove to brown paper or a rack.
- These freeze very well.