We have been enjoying peaches 'every which way' this past month...and here is a simple favorite.
- four large, firm peaches (preferably free-stone)
- 1-2 tablespoons oil (canola or grapeseed or other flavour-neutral oil)
- vanilla ice-cream
- warm caramel sauce (recipe below)
- granola or chopped nuts for topping
- Pre-heat grill to medium-high.
- Cut peaches in half and remove pits. (No need to peel)
- Brush peach halves with oil and place on hot grill, cut side down.
- Grill until golden and showing grill marks....probably about 4 minutes.
- Turn peaches over and grill until slightly soft and just warmed through...several minutes longer.
- Transfer peach halves to serving plates.
- Top each half with a scoop of ice-cream. Drizzle with warm caramel sauce and sprinkle with granola or chopped nuts of your choice.
Warm Caramel Sauce: (can be made in advance and re-heated)
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Melt butter in large skillet on medium heat.
- Add sugar, cook until melted stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Gradually stir in sour cream...cook 1 minute stirring occasionally.
Yields four delicious peach sundaes. Or spread the goodness around...and make eight smaller sundaes.