Chopped salads are a beautiful way of showing off the fresh and colourful produce of the season. The best thing about chopping a salad is that you get all the flavors in just one bite. Why is it that when you chop ingredients into small pieces....it changes not only the texture, but the flavor as well? This Mexican-leaning chopped veggie salad is a perfect way to showcase our local corn and other fresh produce.
- 2 ears corn, kernels cut from cob * (grilled or cooked and cooled)
- 4 mini orange peppers, diced(or use one large)
- 4 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 4 mini cucumbers, diced
- 1/2 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 small can black beans, drained and rinsed (about 1 cup)
- Cilantro Lime Ranch Dressing (recipe below)
- Tortilla strips, optional
- Chop all ingredients in small, uniform sized pieces.
- Combine in salad bowl, adding the avocado pieces last.
- Drizzle with dressing and top with tortilla strips, if desired.
- Serve along-side grilled chicken.
- 3/4 cup plain or Greek Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup light mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice (juice of one lime)
- 3 Tbsp milk (more or less as desired)
- 1/3 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- dash of cayenne pepper
Cilantro Lime Ranch Dressing:
- Place all ingredients into a blender or food processor and bend until smooth and creamy.
- Store in air tight container for up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator.