For my flashback Friday I have chosen to share the recipe for Chipa again.
Makes 3 dozen
These chewy cheesy little pillows is a recipe originally from Paraguay, where my husband was born. They are made from Cassava flour (called Mandioca flour in Spanish) or Tapioca Starch, therefore making them gluten free. (Tapioca Flour and Tapioca Starch is the same thing.)
Another variation for the recipe has a crusty hard outer crust yet soft and chewy from the inside. This version however is a soft muffin, chewy on the inside that taste best warm from the oven, they feel like little pillows. **They are so quick and easy to make, you don't need to be following a gluten free diet to enjoy them.
- 1 - 400 g. / 14 oz package of tapioca starch (approx 3 cups)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup of oil
- 2 cups of grated cheese, like Old Cheddar*
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- Mix all the dry ingredients together.
- Add oil, beaten eggs with the milk and stir until the dry ingredients are well moistened.
- Put into greased mini muffin tins, enough to make 3 dozen.
- Bake at 350 til golden brown, 20-25 minutes.
**Just a word of caution, because these are gluten free, and you don't eat them the day that they are made, they will certainly loose that soft, chewy goodness and become a bit dry and hard. So enjoy them right out of the oven and only make as many as you need. Do not use regular size muffin cups, the larger ones do not taste the same.