This recipe was shared with me by my friend Renee who got the recipe from her dear mother by love Elizabeth Strempler. This is a wonderful sauce to pour over the cottage cheese perogies and cream sauce (Schmaundt Fat), it raises perogies to a whole new level. Thank you Renee for sharing this recipe and your family tradition. It was a lot of fun enjoying a meal after making so many perogies together. It is way more fun making time consuming recipes like vareniki with friends.
Plum sauce -
- 8 cups prune plums
- 2 cups damson plums OR
- a combination of your favorite plums to equal 10 cups
- 3 cups white sugar
- 1/3 cup minute tapioca
- Cut up the plums in bite size pieces.
- Combine the sugar and tapioca and sprinkle over the plums and let sit for 20 minutes.
- Bring to a boil and cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Cool the sauce and freeze in desired portion sizes.
- To serve, thaw sauce and heat gently til warm.
- Pour over vareniki and cream sauce.
Schmaundt Fat (Cream Gravy)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- salt to taste
- On medium heat, melt the butter in a saucepan or frying pan.
- Add the flour and stir together with a whisk cooking until a the flour begins to change color.
- Pour in the cream and milk and cook until bubbly, stirring frequently with the whisk to prevent lumps.
- Add salt to taste.
- When the sauce is smooth and thickened it is ready to serve, it takes about 3 minutes.
- If you desire to use all cream or all milk that is just fine.