- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp yeast
- 4 cups lukewarm water
- 3/4 cup oil, I use canola
- 3 large eggs, beaten till foamy
- 1 tbsp salt
- 12 cups flour (approx)
- Mix well and knead till dough is soft and smooth. A friend once told me that you know the dough is ready when you're kneading and it 'squeaks'.
- Cover and let rise in warm place until double in bulk. Punch down and let rise again. Punch down again and shape into buns (approx size of a large egg). Place a few inches apart on pan. Cover with tea towels and let rise in warm place until double in bulk.
- Bake at 425 for 12 to 15 min.
- Remove from oven and let cool on rack.
- Yields: approx 4 to 5 doz
I use some of the plain bun dough to make these treats! Shape dough into small buns, dip in whipping cream then dip in a white sugar and cinnamon mixture, the ratio according to your taste. That's just my way of saying I don't measure that! Place close together in pan, let rise until double in bulk and bake same as plain buns.
These are best when served fresh esp with a good cup of coffee! This was always a delicious treat for us when we came home from school on baking day! Then later I made this for my daughters and for my g'children.