February is known as the 'love month'. In keeping with that theme...here is a tasty little parfait that we enjoyed at a luncheon earlier this month. Served up in wee Mason jars or mini-parfait glasses...it is the perfect 'afterthought' to a lovely meal.
Chocolate Crumb Base:
- 1 cup oreo baking crumbs
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 oz. / 125 ml cream cheese
- 1/2 cup icing sugar (confectioners sugar)
- 1 1/2 cups crushed raspberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Prepare raspberry sauce. Combine raspberries, sugar and three tablespoons of water. Blend cornstarch with 1 1/2 tablespoons water until smooth; stir into berry mixture. Cook until mixture thickens and boils, stirring regularly. (Can be done in the microwave). Add lemon juice. Set aside to cool.
- To prepare the base, combine cookie crumbs and butter.
- Pack crumbs into the bottom of 10 parfait glasses (or 10 x 125 ml. mason jars).
- For cream filling...combine whipping cream, sugar and vanilla and beat until stiff. In a separate bowl, combine cream cheese and icing sugar; beat until smooth. Add the whipped cream to the cream cheese mixture and whip to combine well.
- Carefully add cream layer to the parfait glasses. *
- Spoon cooled raspberry sauce over whipped cream layer.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Just before serving, garnish with additional whipped cream, fresh raspberries and chocolate garnish or sprig of mint.
*Tip. Put whipped cream mixture into a Ziploc bag, seal and snip corner. Squeeze into serving dishes without making a mess.