This is a tried and true recipe from long ago. My boys always enjoyed these cookies at their friends' home...and brought the recipe home for me one day. Though they are a year-round 'lunchbox' kind of cookie...I like to make them at Christmas-time as well. Create patterns by pressing the dough flat with the bottom of a fancy glass (or a vase, in my case) dipped in sugar. The sparkling sugar crystals add a festive touch!
Brown Sugar Cookies
- 1 cup melted butter
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Combine melted butter and brown sugar.
- Add eggs and vanilla; beat until smooth.
- Add flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder and stir until combined. Chill dough.
- Form small balls of dough (3/4" diameter) and place on parchment lined baking sheet.
- Press down with bottom of fancy tumbler dipped in granulated sugar.
- Bake at 350°F for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Leave on pans for several minutes; then transfer to wire rack to cool.
- Yield: about 5 dozen cookies