Black Forest Cherry Cake
I almost didn't post this recipe since it is so similar to Anneliese's Black Forest Birthday Cake.
I did think though that some may not know how to make Cherry Pie Filling from scratch so I decided to post it. It is nearly like Anneliese's . . .be sure to check her picture . . .it is just so picture perfect. This Cherry Pie Filling is less sweet and has many more cherries than canned. I always have a can of Cherry Pie Filling for days that I'm in a hurry but when time allows, this really tastes wonderful.
- 1 Duncan Hines Swiss Chocolate Cake Mix or . .make this homemade dark chocolate cake
- 1 package instant chocolate pudding (2 cups milk size)
- 1 pint whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 recipe cherry pie filling
- shaved chocolate for garnish
- Make the cake according to directions. . .bake in two 9 inch pans.
- Make the pudding according to directions and refrigerate until the cake layers have cooled.
- Make one recipe Cherry Pie Filling and allow to come to room temperature.
- Whip the cream and the vanilla pudding mix together and refrigerate until assembly.
Cherry Pie Filling
- 3 cups frozen or fresh pitted Montmorency Pie Cherries (now. . finding them may prove to be the biggest problem. I had a supplier and they stopped selling them and now I will be planting my own tree. These cherries have a beautiful color and flavour. I find the easiest way to pit cherries is with the tip of a potato peeler.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Put the frozen or fresh cherries in a microwave safe measuring cup. Heat on high for one minute. . stir and repeat until the cherries begin to release juice.
- Add the combined cornstarch and sugar.
- Stir well. Heat on high until it is thickend, the juices have cleared and it is bubbling.
- Stir well every few minutes.
Assembling the cake
- Cut both the cake layers in half. Put the first layer on a cake plate.
- Spread half the pudding on the first layer.
- Add the next layer of cake.
- Put half the Cherry Pie Filling on this layer.
- Add the third layer of cake. . and top with the second half of pudding.
- Add the last layer of cake.
- Spread the whipping cream all over the cake. . .reserving 1 cup or so to pipe around the edge.
- Put the Cherry Pie Filling in the center.
- Chill until ready to serve.