I've made these muffins several times in the past while.
They are adaptable to what you have handy. Try adding fresh or frozen blueberries or a finely chopped nectarine in place of the apples or pears and dates or dried blueberries instead of the raisins.
There's lots of bran in them and stored in the fridge or freezer, they stay moist and delicious.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cups natural wheat bran (not the cereal)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder,
- 1/2 teaspoon salt,
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 375 º F.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl. Set aside.
- Combine all wet ingredients in another bowl, mixing well with a mixer.
- With a spatula, stir dry ingredients into wet mixture being careful to not over mix.
- Fold in pear, raisins and pecans.
- Spoon into lightly oiled muffin cups- about 2/3 full.
- Bake at 375 º F for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean.
- Makes 1 1/2 dozen medium sized muffins.
You'll want to try one hot out of the pan with a pat of butter!