While on vacation in California, we have eaten at California Pizza and enjoyed their Waldorf salad. This is a twist of of the traditional recipe, trying to copy the tantalizing flavor combination of apples, celery and caramelized nuts mixed with a vinaigrette dressing. You can serve this salad as a delicious side without chicken or make it a quick meal by adding a rotisserie or grilled chicken. (photo is half recipe)
- 8 cups lettuce greens ( such as a mix of romaine, spinach and red butter lettuce)
- 2 cups grapes (optional)
- 1 1/2 - 2 apples, chopped fine (soak a few minutes in lemon/water to keep color)
- 3 - 4 stalks celery, chopped fine
- 3/4 cups feta cheese, crumbled or cubed
- 3/4 cups dried cranberries
- 1 1/2 cups pecans caramelized with 3 - 4 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 rotisserie chicken, cut up
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup grapeseed oil (or olive oil)
- 3 Tbsp wine vinegar (can be a mix of wine vinegar and balsamic)
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- In Teflon style pan, warm pecans on medium heat for a few minutes, stirring. Sprinkle with sugar and stir until sugar is melted and sticking to nuts. . . several minutes. Remove nuts to glass bowl to cool and soak pan and utensil.
- Put dressing ingredients into a small jar and mix / shake until well blended.
- If using chicken, pull pieces apart, slice breasts and chop up the rest of the meat.
- In large bowl, mix lettuce, apples, celery, cheese, cranberries, caramelized pecans and chopped chicken meat.
- Just before serving, pour dressing over salad, mix well and remove to deep large platter or serving bowl.
- Arrange sliced chicken breast slices and grapes on top or around salad. Delicious served with warm cheese stuffed breadsticks (serves 6 as a meal . . . leftover salad is still good the next day)