Outdoor cooking is always popular during the summer time. This recipe can be made over an open camp fire or on top of your stove indoors. It is one of our favorite go to meals when we have company. Cooking it on an open fire results in a bit of a smokey taste which is awesome. We had company over last night and they really enjoyed it.
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1/2 lbs (1 kg) of boneless skinless chicken, cubed (we used thighs)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 peppers, chopped (we used 1 red and 1 green)
- 4 zucchini, sliced thinly
- 4 carrots, sliced thinly
- 1-28 oz can of tomatoes
- 1 cup of your favorite salsa
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 cups water (If you do it over a camp fire, you may need a bit more)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat your pot, add the oil.
- When the pot and oil are hot add the diced chicken and brown.
- Add the onions, peppers and garlic cook until the onions soften.
- Add tomatoes, salsa, water and carrots.
- Cook about 15 minutes until the carrots soften.
- Add the zucchini, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Cook a few more minutes until the zucchini is soft.
- Serve over brown rice.
Many people add the rice and added liquid to cook right in the pot when the carrots go in the pot but my husband likes the rice cooked on the side and the chicken served over the rice. Either way it is a very nice meal served along side a green salad.