This is not your mama's meatloaf...but I'm sure she'd love it!
Turn everyday meatloaf into an extraordinary. Garlic mashed potatoes and a cream mushroom filling all roll up and wrapped in a weaved blanket of bacon. What's not to like!
I serve this with a creamy mushroom sauce.
(See note at bottom of recipe for alternative cooking methods.)
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 tbsp minced onion
- 3 tbsp fine dried bread crumbs, I use Panko
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 10 slices thick bacon
- 2 large potatoes
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp butter (yes...another one)
- 6 large mushrooms, sliced very thin
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 3 tbsp sour cream
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
Simple mushroom sauce:
- Slice up 6-7 large mushrooms. Saute in 1 tbsp of butter until mushrooms begin to brown. Add 3/4 cup thick cream to pan and turn heat to simmer and allow to cook for about 10 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Place first 8 ingredients into a bowl and mix together.
- Place a sheet of parchment paper on a baking sheet and weave bacon into a square on the parchment.
- Place meat mixture on top of bacon and press into a flat square 12"x12". this should pretty much cover the bacon. Cover and place into refrigerator.
- Peel and cut up potatoes. Add to a pot of water along with garlic clove. Boil until soft. Drain and mash with milk and 1 tbsp of butter. Set aside to cool.
- Melt second tbsp of butter in a small skillet. Add sliced mushrooms and onions. Saute for a few minutes. Add sour cream and season with thyme and salt and pepper. Cook over low for 5 minutes. Remove from stove and cool.
- Over cooled meat spread cooled garlic mashed potatoes and then cooled mushroom mixture over the potatoes.
- The meat will roll up nicely now that it's been chilled. First carefully roll up the meat with the fillings, leaving the bacon lying flat. Once you have a jelly roll like meat roll, roll it the other way pulling the weaved bacon around it. Wrap the whole bacon wrapped meatloaf in the parchment paper and place in refrigerator until ready to bake. This can be assembles earlier in the day or even the evening before.
- Bake uncovered in 350º oven for 1 hour or until internal temperature of the meatloaf is 160º.
Alternative cooking methods:
|For those of you who follow the blog you may already know that some of my recipes are cooked on The Big Green Egg. For this recipe you can bake the meat at 350º over indirect heat when using a grill.|
|An hour on the grill, cooked to perfection with a wee bit of a smokey flavour. The bacon keeps the meat together well whether baking in the oven or on your grill.|