If you have tried the French Bread or Pizza Buns with the same recipe, today's breadsticks should come by quite easily, as it's the same recipe recycled once again. It's the bread recipe with endless options and so easy to mix.
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 2 Tsp salt
- 2 cups hot water
- 4 - 4 1/2 cups flour
- 2 Tbsp instant yeast
- 3 cups shredded cheese (mozzarella or mix )
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 2 Tbsp finely grated Parmesan
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Put first four ingredients in mixing bowl or Kitchen Aid mixing bowl. Stir in 2 cups flour and yeast.
- Mix until well combined and then add the rest of the flour 1/2 cup at a time, until dough can easily be shaped into a ball with all the flour well mixed in. No need to rise.
- Divide in half. Roll first half out on floured surface, to approx size of cookie sheet. Roll up on to rolling pin and unroll unto cookie sheet. Stretch into shape where needed. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Roll out second half, a bit larger. Roll onto pin and unroll on top of cheese. Fold under the bottom layer, along edges. Cut through the dough with a pizza cutter to create 20 - 24 pieces. Cover with a kitchen towel and let rise 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, Parmesan, oregano and garlic. Brush evenly over dough.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, until breadsticks are light golden in color. If a large bubble pops up while baking, simply break with a knife to keep the sticks even.
- Cut along the seams of the breadsticks and serve warm with soup. Can also be used for kids' sandwiches.