Our garden is providing us with an abundance of fresh Kale and I have begun to make this very simple salad that keeps well for at least two days in the refrigerator.
The secret to making a salad with kale is to massage it with the dressing.
Wash it first really well and dry it in a salad spinner and then break it into bite sized pieces and place it into your salad bowl. I then put a little olive oil onto the palm of my hands and massage the kale for just a minute or so. Massaging the kale helps to make the tough bitter leaf into sweet and tender leaves which are perfect for salad.
- enough kale to fill your salad bowl, stems removed, washed and dried and broken into bite sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- the juice of one orange
- the juice of one lemon
- a drizzle of liquid honey (to taste)
- fresh cracked salt and pepper
- sliced or minced red onion
- 2 carrots, cut into matchsticks ( a mandolin works best) or sliced fresh strawberries
- dried cranberries and toasted sliced almonds
- Put the kale into a salad bowl and drizzle olive oil over the bite sized pieces to coat them and then massage with your hands for several minutes.
- Drizzle the citrus juices, honey and salt and pepper over the salad greens and toss to coat well and adjust the sweetness and the salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the red onion and the carrots and then refrigerate until serving.
- Just before serving, give the salad a good toss and top with the dried cranberries and toasted sliced almonds.