If you like Tuna Melt Sandwiches, you are sure to enjoy these handheld turnovers as well. They are good to send along for lunches or along side of a soup or salad.
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Add the cold butter or margarine and cut butter into the flour to get course crumbs.
- Add the egg into a one cup measure, fill the remaining cup with milk.
- Stir the wet ingredients to form into a dough.
- Roll out the dough on a well floured surface and cut into 5 inch rounds, or what ever size you would like your turnovers to be.
- Add a tablespoon of filling to the center.
- Fold over dough and seal.
- Bake at 400 for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
- 2 - 7 ounce tuna in water, drained well
- 2 cups shredded old / aged cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup green pepper, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup mushrooms, finely chopped
- enough mayonnaise to moisten tuna mixture
- Saute onion, green pepper, mushroom in butter until the onion is soft and transparent.
- Add it to the tuna and cheese.
- Add enough mayonnaise to the tuna to moisten.
Tip- we like a bit of spice in our food so I added a little sprinkle of cayenne pepper into the Tuna mixture.