- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 grated onion
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup cooked rice (1/3 cup raw)
- 5 large peppers, cut in half or 10 small
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1/2 pepper, chopped
- 5 Tbsp flour
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 small can tomato paste
- salt and pepper to taste
1. If you do not have leftover rice, cook about 1/3 cup rice in 2/3 cup water and a bit of salt, until done.
2. Spray medium sized roaster with cooking spray.
3. Prepare peppers. If peppers are large, simply cut in half and remove stems and seeds. Shave off the pointed/top part so that they sit better. If using small peppers, cut the pointed section off, remove seeds and stem. Arrange in roaster, flat sides down.
4. In a large bowl, mix ground beef, seasoning, onion, sour cream and cooked rice. This works best by hand.
5. Fill Peppers.
6. In large skillet, cook chopped onion and pepper until soft.
7. Add half of the broth. Mix flour and the rest of the broth in a sealed jar and add to sauce.
8. Stir in tomato paste, salt and pepper to taste. Stir sauce until it comes to a boil and thickens.
9. Pour over filled peppers and bake at 350F for 75 -90 minutes.