These cookies are reminiscent of Betty’s Whoopie Pies however they use milk instead of sour cream and have a marshmallow filling.
They freeze really well and are delicious when eaten right from the freezer!
Treats for those little monkeys in your life.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup softened butter or margarine
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 4 cups flour
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 3 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375 º
- Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or grease.
- In mixer bowl, beat together, margarine, sugar vanilla and eggs. Beat until light.
- Add dry ingredients and mix well. This is a soft dough, more like a thick cake batter.
- Using a scoop or teaspoon, drop dough about 2 inches apart onto prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake at 375º for 7 - 9 minutes, baking until cookies are soft but spring back when touched.
- Wait a minute or two before removing from cookie sheets to a rack. Cool completely.
- Fill with marshmallow filling and store in tightly covered containers in your freezer.
- 1 1/2 cups mini marshmallows
- 6 Tablespoons milk, divided
- 3 cups icing sugar
- 1/3 cup softened butter or margarine
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- Place mini marshmallows and 3 tablespoons of milk in a microwave bowl or saucepan.
- Gently melt, over medium heat - stirring frequently.
- Just before marshmallows have melted completely, remove from heat and stir until all the lumps are gone. Set aside.
- In mixing bowl, beat together margarine, shortening and vanilla.
- Add icing sugar and 3 tablespoons milk, beating well.
- Add marshmallow mixture and continue to beat. You may need a bit more icing sugar or milk to make it of spreading consistency. It should be thick but still spreadable.
- Fill cookies.
- Offer them to your little monkeys - and their parents!