Harvesting fresh rhubarb from my garden is one of my favorites. It seems like it can grow anywhere without too much care....except at my place. Last year my daughter planted a couple of plants behind the shed and somehow they disappeared only because her Dad thought that they were weeds and dumped a load of top soil on the newly planted patch. Regardless, I will endeavor to make it up to her by planting some more rhubarb.
One thing about rhubarb, you either love it or you don't...but this one will fool you.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup creamed cheese
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 1 Tbsp. milk
- 13/4 cups flour
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- Cream the butter, cheese, icing sugar, and milk.
- Add the sifted dry ingredients.
- Roll out and fit into a 9-inch spring from pan or put into a 9x9 baking pan.
- Bake at 350 º until light brown on edges (10-15 min)
- Cool completely
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup icing sugar
- Cream the butter and vanilla.
- Gradually add the icing sugar and beat until smooth. It should be a thicker consistency.
- Spread the icing on the crust when it is cool.
- 3 cups chopped raw rhubarb
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups whipping cream
- Cook rhubarb in water and sugar.
- When rhubarb is completely cooked and no longer hold its shape, remove from heat.
- Drain off any extra liquid and cool completely
- Whip the cream until it holds peaks. (don't add any sugar)
- Gently fold the rhubarb into the whipped cream until completely blended.
- Top the shortbread crust with the rhubarb mixture and chill before serving.