Rye bread is typically made from a starter that needs to be fed for days
before it's ready to use. The starter is what gives your bread the sourdough taste.
For this recipe you can stir together your starter...go out for 4 hours,
and then come home and start making your bread dough..
I make this recipe into one large loaf that I bake on a pre heated
13" pizza stone. It makes one very large tasty rye loaf.
- 1 tbsp dry yeast (not instant)
- 2 cups warm water
- 1 cup rye flour
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 1/2 - 4 cups white flour
- 2 tbsp caraway seeds, optional. (we don't care for them so I omit)
- In a large glass bowl dissolve yeast in 1 cup of the warm water.
- Stir in rye flour, cover loosely and let stand at room temperature for 4 hours. During this time the surface will eventually get small bubbles, puff up and then it will eventually drop about an inch.
- After 4 hours give starter a good stir, and add remaining ingredients, holding back at least 1 1/2 cups white flour to work in as you begin to knead dough.
- This dough requires a long knead. It is not a light and airy dough, but it should have some air bubbles that form in the dough as you knead. I knead for at least 10-15 minutes. This along with the starter is the key to a nice textured rye.
- Cover and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Place parchment paper on counter and sprinkle generously with cornmeal. Form bread dough into a large round loaf.
- Cover with a clean t towel and allow to rise for 1 hour.
- Just before baking brush with a cornstarch wash, recipe follows, and slash top with a serrated bread knife.
- Place pizza stone in oven and preheat oven to 450º.
- Carefully slide risen loaf along with the parchment paper onto the hot stone and place back in oven.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes. The loaf should be well browned and feel firm. Slide baked bread off of stone onto a cooling rack. Allow to cool at least 15-20 minutes before slicing.
- 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 2 tsp water
- 1/2 cup water
Mix together cornstarch and 2 tsp water to make a paste. Add rest of water and stir until it is smooth.
Heat in microwave or on stove top until it comes to a gentle boil and becomes clear.