Base (sponge cake):
6 Tbsp sugar
6 Tbsp flour
3 Tbsp baking cocoa
6 cups ice cream - double chocolate almond or any favorite
3 - 4 egg whites
1/2 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Grease 8 inch round pan. Line with wax paper (use bottom of pan to make template and cut out) and grease again. If you use a Springform, only grease well, you do not need to line.
- Beat eggs and sugar until thick and pale.
- Sift the flour and cocoa together and carefully fold into eggs.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 8-10 minutes, or until springy to touch. Turn out on wire rack and peel back wax paper, if using. Cool.
- Meanwhile, allow ice cream to soften in fridge.
- Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in the sugar and continue beating until thick and glossy . . . peaks form when lifting beaters.
- Place the cake in a pie plate to serve like pie or on a baking sheet on parchment paper, so you can transfer it to a serving plate later.
- Pile ice cream in a dome shape on top of cake.
- Spread the meringue over the ice cream, making sure it is completely enclosed. Swirl and dab with back of spoon for design. At this point, freeze the cake until just before serving.
- Return to 425 F oven for 7 minutes, until meringue is just golden. Serve immediately.