If you still have berries in the freezer from last summer and have a crowd to feed. ..this is a great and very tasty option for a dessert. Apples are a great addition to the berries as they add a mellow flavour to the mix.
This crisp serves up almost like a fruit bar. Using some of the crumbs for a base helps to ease in serving the dessert evenly and makes a chewy base with a crispy topping.
- 15 cups frozen mixed berries (blueberries, blackberries and raspberries)
- 6 large apples peeled, cored and sliced
- 3 cups white sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 6 cups old fashioned oatmeal
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cup butter
- 2 cups chopped walnuts
- Mix together the frozen berries and apples in a large saucepan or a large microwaveable bowl. Warm the berries until they are thawed and begin to release their juices.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the sugar and cornstarch.
- Add to the berry/apple mix. Heat until the cornstarch begins to clear. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the oatmeal, sugar and flour.
- Cut the butter in with a pastry blender or use your hands until coarse crumbs form and the butter is well distributed.
- Add the walnuts.
- In a large rectangular non stick roaster or regular roasting pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray, scatter 3 cups of the crumbs to cover the bottom.
- Spoon the berry/apple mixture evenly over the crumbs.
- Sprinkle the remaining crumbs to cover the berry mixture.
- Bake in a 350 oven about 1 1/2 hours. The edges should be bubbling up berries and the crumbs should we golden brown and crisp. Before declaring it done, take a small spoon from the center and dig into the berries to make sure they are bubbly and the cornstarch has cleared.
- Serve warm or rewarm at 300 for 15 minutes before serving.
- Cut into 30 pieces. Use a egg lifter to remove squares. Serve with ice cream.
- Refrigerate the leftovers. Since it will set once it chills you can serve the leftovers like a bar.
Speaking of crowds. . we'd love to see you at the Book Launch Party at House of James tonight. We've been enjoying book signing this last weekend meeting so many of you already and would love the opportunity to meet more of you. We'll sign your book and serve up some samples from the book. To see what we've been up to. ..scroll down the page to read our personal blogs.