I am not sure to whom I can credit the recipe too, but it is a nice change from just a simple rice.
You can stick it in the oven and forget it while you are busy preparing the rest of the meal, or cook it stove top, either way works. You don't want this to be a dry rice, it is nice and moist.
(I apologize for the poor photo quality, the steam, steamed up the camera and I didn't notice, until now, sorry.)
- 1 cup of brown rice (or white)
- 3 tbsp of butter
- 1 chopped onion
- 1/4 tsp. sage
- 1/4 tsp. basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth (I add about 2 cups because we don't like a dry rice)
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 can of mushroom with the liquid
- fresh parsley (I didn't have any this time)
- Or if you prefer fresh mushrooms, just cook them with the onion and add another 1/2 cup water or broth
- Saute the onion (and fresh mushrooms if using) in the butter, combine remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Put in a greased casserole dish for 45 minutes in a 350 oven.
- Or just make it on the stove top in the pot and simmer for 45 minutes. Do not let pot get too dry, add liquid as necessary.