Here's a meatloaf all gussied up for company.
It has a hint of thyme in it which gives it a wonderful flavour.
I'm afraid I can't give credit to the cook but it is found in the yellow Greendale cookbook.
For the meatloaf;
- 2 pounds hamburger
- 2 eggs slightly beaten
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1/2 cup oatmeal
- 1/8 teaspoons pepper
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup mushroom or chicken broth
For the Stuffing:
- 2 cups fresh sliced mushrooms or 1 can mushrooms
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 1/4 cup butter
- 4 cups fresh bread cubes
- 1/4 teaspoon.thyme
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley or 1 tsp. dried parsley
For the topping:
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1tablespoon dry mustard
Make the stuffing first.
- Saute mushrooms and onions in the butter until soft.
- Combine with bread cubes, thyme and parsely.
- Set aside.
- Mix the meatloaf ingredients together. Do not overmix.
- Pack 1/2 of the meatloaf mixture into the bottom of a loaf pan.
- Top with stuffing.
- Pack remaining meatloaf mixture over stuffing.
- Mix topping ingredients together and spread over meatloaf.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Let meatloaf sit for 10 minutes before removing from pan.
- Slice and serve.