This summer I was running the race to pick zucchinis when they were still "garden small". Now that the garden is cleaned up, I'm continuing to purchase beautiful green zucchinis to make this easy and economical appetizer. Preparation time is about 10 minutes and baking time is just under 30 minutes.
- 1 zucchini, sliced into 1/4 inch thick rounds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup panko (Japanese style) breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon avocado or olive oil
- purchased marinara sauce, heated
- Preheat oven to 450 F.
- Combine panko crumbs, parmesan cheese, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Add oil and stir to combine.
- Dip each side of the zucchini in the crumb mixture, and place rounds in a single layer on a cookie sheet.
- Use the remaining crumb mixture to pat about 1/4 teaspoon on top of each slice.
- Bake until the crumb topping is browned about 20 - 25 minutes. The zucchini itself will stay soft but the crumbs will be crunchy.
- Serve hot with warmed marinara sauce as an appetizer.
Yields about 35 pieces