It's summer time and today I'm happy to share with you a blueberry bar that can't be resisted. I tasted this last year at Berry Bounty Farms which is a family owned and operated berry stand, just a few kilometers down the road on Chilliwack Central. They also love to use our MGCC recipes.
This is one stop you can't miss. Check it out and you will be greeted by a friendly smile, a fresh glass of raspberry juice and a sample of baked goodies.
Blueberry Oat Bars
- 4 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 5 teaspoons corn starch
- 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp almond flavor
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 9x13 inch pan.
- Bring blueberries and orange juice to a boil in a sauce pan.
- Reduce heat and simmer about 10 minutes.
- Whisk in cornstarch and boil, stirring until thickened, about 1 minute.
- Cover with saran wrap and refrigerate or cool up to 30 minutes.
- Beat butter and sugar in a medium bowl until smooth and fluffy.
- Add almond extract.
- Mix in flour, baking powder and oats until mixture is crumbly.
- Reserve 1 cup crumb mixture for topping.
- Pat remaining crumb mixture into cake pan.
- Spread cooled blueberry topping evenly over crust.
- Sprinkle with remaining crumb mixture.
- Bake 30-40 minutes until lightly browned.