I'm using my favourite sweet roll dough for this apple filled sweet roll recipe.
I find that the sweetened condensed milk in this dough helps to stabilize the dough and keep it from shrinking down after it has been baked.
The dough is tender and soft.
Don't let apple season pass without making up a batch of these delicious rolls to share with family and friends.
Sweet Roll Yeast Dough:
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup very soft butter
- 1 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 1/2 - 7 cups flour
- 6 cups peeled, quartered and sliced apples (be sure to use apples that keep their shape after being cooked)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup sugar (taste after the apples have cooked and decide then if you want to add more sugar)
- 2 teaspoons minute tapioca
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- In a large mixing bowl or the bowl of your kitchen machine, place warm water and yeast and allow to proof about 10 minutes.
- Add the eggs, soft butter, sweetened condensed milk, and salt. Stir in the flour until stirring becomes too difficult and then turn out onto a floured surface and add the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time until it is smooth and elastic. Alternately, use the dough hook according to your dough machine instructions.
- Turn into a large greased bowl, turning to moisten with fat and cover with plastic wrap and a tea towel. Allow to rise until double in bulk, about an hour. While the dough rises, prepare the apple filling.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan and add apples.
- Add sugar and tapioca and stir to combine. Cook over medium-high heat until the apples are just tender and the sauce has thickened.
- Remove from heat and bring to room temperature.
- Roll dough into a 12 X 36 inch wide rectangle, transfer apple filling to the dough, spreading fairly evenly.
- Roll up jelly roll style and divide into 36 rolls in three 9 X 13 parchment paper lined pans.
- Cover with tea towels and allow to rise another hour.
- Bake at 350 about 20 minutes, until the tops are golden brown. Cool 10 minutes while making glaze. Drizzle with glaze and serve.