This salad brings together the flavours and textures of crisp Anjou pears,
buttery smooth avocados and sweet crunchy pecans,
enhanced by a maple vinaigrette dressing.
- 1 cup pecans left whole or halved
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- dash of salt and pepper
- approximately 8 cups salad greens - I used spinach and romaine lettuce
- 2 fresh pears, cored and chopped - I used Anjou pears
- 1 medium sized avocado, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup finely sliced red cabbage
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Place pecans and sugar, salt and pepper together in a heavy frying pan, over medium heat,
- Stir constantly, watching closely until sugar is completely melted and coats the pecans.
- Turn pecans out onto waxed paper and let cool.
- Combine all salad ingredients in large salad bowl except pecans and toss together lightly
- Sprinkle with pecans just before serving.
- Serve with Maple Vinaigrette on the side. Or you can toss the salad with the dressing and top with the pecans just before serving.
For the Maple Vinaigrette:
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar (can use Cider vinegar)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper to taste.
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 cup olive oil
- Whisk together in a bowl, the vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper and maple syrup.
- Gradually whisk in olive oil mixing well until emulsified.
- Pour into a pitcher or cruet and serve alongside salad.