I have been making different versions of this make ahead scrambled egg recipe for years.
You can easily change up the mushrooms to a different vegetable.
The recipe can easily be doubled for larger groups or halved for a family of 6 and is great to serve for any meal of the day. Add cubed ham or farmer sausage on top of the scrambled eggs before adding the soup if desired.
- 2 dozen eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter
- 4 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 cans mushroom soup
- 2 tablespoons sherry (can use cooking sherry)
- 1/2 cup processed cheese spread (or 1 cup grated cheese)
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- 2 cups grated sharp cheddar
- In a large fry pan, melt 1/4 cup (half of the full amount in ingredients) butter and add mushrooms. Fry until browned and the liquid from the mushrooms has reduced.
- Add the mushroom soup, sherry, and processed cheese spread. Stir together until heated through.
- Set aside.
- In a large bowl or blender container, beat the eggs together with the milk until well combined.
- In a large fry pan, melt the remaining 1/4 cup butter on medium low heat. Add the beaten eggs and stir until the eggs are just barely cooked. They should be still a bit wet. Don't overcook.
- Arrange the scrambled eggs evenly in a greased 9 X 13 pan.
- Add the mushrooms and then green onions.
- Pour warm mushroom soup mixture on top.
- Sprinkle with grated cheddar.
- Bake at 250 for 50 minutes.