It was back in 2008 that I first posted this simple recipe for baked beans. Other than frying the bacon this casserole is simply just a stir together and bake recipe. This is a great recipe for a family supper or to take along to a pot luck side dish.
Try dividing this mixture between individual french onion soup bowls or other oven proof individual baking dishes (cast iron mini pans work well), bake, top with some cheese and serve with crusty bread.
- 2-15 oz. cans kidney beans, not drained
- 2-15 oz. cans lima beans, drained and rinsed well
- 1-15 0z. cans pork 'n beans
- 1/2 pound bacon, fried till slightly crispy
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- Open cans of beans and add to a large casserole dish.
- Fry bacon, remove and saute red pepper and onion in bacon drippings.
- Crumble bacon and add bacon and sauteed peppers and onion to beans. Stir to mix.
- 1 cup ketchup
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- Stir together and pour over bean mixture. Stir to combine.
- Bake in 300º oven for 2 hours.
**Just before serving you can top with cheese and put back into the oven until melted and bubbly.