A girlfriend, a former Miss Abbotsford, shared this recipe with me many years ago, and it has remained one of my favorite salads. Can be made ahead and keeps well in the fridge.
- 2 eggs
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 4 tbsp vinegar
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 cup cream - whipped
- 2 cups crushed pineapple
- 2 cups mandarin orange segments
- 2 cups cherries (or fruit cocktail mix)
- 2 cups marshmallows (miniature)
- Beat eggs, vinegar and sugar - cook on med. heat, stirring until mixture thickens. - be careful not to overcook.
- Remove from heat and add butter. Let cool.
- Mix drained fruit and marshmallows.
- Fold whipped cream into cooled dressing and then fold in mixed fruit.
- Chill in fridge for several hours before serving.
NOTE: You can vary the fruit according to preference - if you want to add bananas, add them just before serving, otherwise they will turn brown and mushy.