Does your family have favourites when it come to cookies?
In many families it is the classic Chocolate Chip Cookie that wins out.
But in our family, it seems to be Ginger Snaps.
Here's our family recipe - they are spicy, chewy and gone in no time.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 eggs
- 4 1/2 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cloves
- 1 teaspoon ginger (can do 2 teaspoons if you are ginger lovers)
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- In a large bowl, beat together sugar, butter, and molasses.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating in between each.
- Stir in dry ingredients and mix well.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 1 hour to make the dough easier to handle.
- Using a cookie scoop or tablespoon, scoop out balls of dough on to cookie sheets
- Roll each in the palms of your hands to form a smooth ball and dip tops in sugar
- Place 2" apart on cookie sheets.
- Bake at 350º for 8 - 12 minutes or until set. Cookies will puff up and then begin to flatten during baking. They will still be soft enough to take a fingerprint. Do not overbake.
- Cool for 2 or 3 minutes and remove to racks or brown paper.
- These freeze very well stacked in zippered bags.