This hummus will convince you that homemade really is best.
- 1 large or 2 medium onions, diced
- 3 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 garlic bulb
- 2 cups cooked* or 1- 450 g/15 ounce can chickpeas (cooking your own is very inexpensive)
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- juice of two lemons
- 1/3 cup avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon salt (salt only to taste if you are using canned chickpeas)
- Cut the top of the garlic bulb off, place on a foil, drizzle with oil and wrap foil up around garlic. Bake for 30 minutes. Squeeze the softened garlic out of the bulb skin into blender jar.
- Fry onions in a large fry pan on medium low heat until onions have caramelized. Reserve a few tablespoons for garnish.
- Place all ingredients into blender and process until smooth, adding water if necessary.
Place chickpeas in a large pot, cover with water allowing chickpeas to double in size. In the morning, drain, rinse and place in the same pot covering again with water. Simmer for about 90 minutes. Extra chickpeas freeze well.