Fall leaves dropping and warm muffins fresh out of the oven just go together. This muffin is perfect for breakfast or to pack along for later, combining the traditional bran muffin with a hint of carrot cake. Low in fat and sugar, feel free to spread with butter, cheese or honey if you like.
- 1 1/4 cup All Bran Original cereal
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups finely grated carrots
- 3/4 cups dried figs, chopped (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups flour (can be half whole wheat)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/3 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 F and prepare 12 regular or 6 giant muffin tins with cooking spray or liners. For giant tins, try cutting 6x6 inch squares of parchment paper. set into baking tray cups and keep in place by inserting drinking glasses. (while preparing batter)
- In a mixing bowl, blend All Bran cereal and buttermilk. Set aside to soften.
- Peel and grate 2 - 3 carrots. (I use fine side) and chop figs.
- In another small bowl, combine flour, baking powder, soda, cinnamon and salt.
- Mix eggs into wet cereal and then the sugar, carrots and figs.
- Stir dry ingredients into wet, until just combined.
- Fill muffin tins to the top and bake for 18 - 30 minutes depending on size of muffin tins - until toothpick tests comes out clean.
- Remove from pan and cool on wire rack.