It's a good idea to keep some basic pantry items around during the summer months for those last minute appetizers. Making your own Roasted Red Pepper Hummus is easy if you have a food processor to combine all the ingredients into a smooth thick dip! It makes a wonderful dip for veggies, chips and also makes a great spread for wraps.
- 1 15 ounce / 540 ml canned chick peas (drained but reserve just a bit of the liquid to adjust consistency of the dip at the end)
- 2 large roasted red peppers * (roast your own or buy them in a jar)
- juice of 1 small lemon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tahini (found near peanut butter on grocery shelves)
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- dash - 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (taste it first and adjust)
- Dice the peppers and reserve a rounded tablespoon for garnish.
- Combine all the ingredients in a food processor or blender. A food processor will work best unless you have a good quality blender.
- Process until the dip is smooth.
- Serve chilled with chips or veggies.
* Roasting your own Peppers is very easy. Simply line a cookie sheet with foil and arrange peppers. Place under the broiler, turning peppers occasionally until the skin has blistered and partly turned black. Place in a glass bowl and cover with plastic wrap, allowing them to steam and cool (about 15 minutes). Slip off the peel, slice in half and discard seeds.