I was looking for an apple bar online and came across this idea. I changed it up somewhat, and served it to our care group recently. They all loved it so here is the recipe. I served it warm from the oven but you could add a scoop of ice cream and a drizzle of caramel sauce if you like.
- 1 cup soft butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups oatmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1 cup toffee bits ( found in the baking aisle)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 egg
- 2 cups shredded apples
- Beat the butter and brown sugar until creamy.
- Add oatmeal, flour, baking soda and cinnamon, toffee bits and pecans and blend into a crumbly mixture.
- Press half of crumbs in a lightly greased 9"x 13" pan.
- Bake at 350º for 8-10 minutes.
- Make filling: Mix sour cream, sugar, salt and flour in a medium sized bowl.
- Add beaten egg and stir until mixed.
- Add shredded apples and stir to coat.
- Pour over hot crust.
- Top with remaining crumb mixture.
- Bake for another 35- 45 minutes or until centre is set.
- Cool, cut into bars and serve.
- Store leftovers in refrigerator.