Here is a simple brunch, lunch or appetizer idea...using your own favorite biscuit dough...or mine. Serve with additional salsa...or dill pickles.
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, cold
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2/3 cup hot salsa
- 1 - 1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- Combine flour, baking powder, soda, salt and sugar.
- Cut in butter, using a pastry blender to form a mixture of coarse crumbs.
- Whisk together buttermilk and egg.
- Add to crumbs, and mix gently to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto flour surface, and knead gently about ten times.
- Gently roll into a rectangle...about 10" x 16".
- Spread with salsa and sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Roll up from the long side, and pinch edge of dough to seal.
- Cut into 16 equal slices.
- Place on parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 400°F until golden (12-14 minutes).
These biscuits are best fresh from the oven...but can be frozen and re-heated later.