Someone asked about gluten free Butterhorns on Lovella's recipe. I agree they look sooo good !
I will never be totally satisfied with gf breads of any kind -- it is impossible to get the soft, stretchy chew of a good glutened 'bread'.
But I am starting to not expect it and focus on trying to produce a product that is good on its own, coming close to what is made in regular wheat kitchens.
This recipe for Butterhorns turned out quite nice - They are best eaten shortly after coming out of the oven , or same day, but they freeze very well and can be taken from freezer, zapped in the microwave and served as good as fresh.
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 tsp honey or sugar
- 1 tsp unflavoured gelatin
- 1 1/2 tbsp yeast
- 2 eggs
- cottage cheese (to make 1 cup)
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/2 cup white bean flour
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup millet flour
- 1/2 cup potato starch
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch/flour
- sweet rice flour for handling/rolling dough
- Mix sugar gelatin and yeast -- add warm water , stir and let proof (about 10 minutes)
- Put 2 eggs in a cup and add cottage cheese to make 1 cup
- In mixer blend liquids including melted butter
- Blend together the dry ingredients
- Add dry ingredients to liquids and beat on high for a minute or two until dough is smooth and stretchy looking.
- Turn dough out on counter or pastry mat dusted with sweet rice flour. Knead lightly using only enough sweet rice flour to make dough easy to handle.
- Either roll out or pinch off pieces to roll into a rope and then twist into bun circles. You can check out step by step procedure photos on Lovella's recipe here . -- This gluten-free dough does handle quite well even though it won't have the 'stretch' of wheat dough.
- If you wish to fill the centres with lemon butter before baking you can find Anneliese's recipe here..
- Place on parchment lined pan and let rise.
- Bake at 375 degrees for about 20 minutes or until browned.
- Drizzle with icing when removed from oven and sprinkle tops with toasted almond flakes if desired.