It is peach season. That's when I crave waffles with peaches! Is there anything better than homemade fluffy waffles covered with sweet white sauce and fresh peach slices?
Waffles are a favorite food in our family and always have to be served with sweet white sauce. I remember years ago when we were on a holiday with our daughters and eating out was a novelty. We stopped at a restaurant for breakfast and they were excited to see waffles on the menu. I reminded them that they would not be getting the white sauce. They could not believe that waffles would ever be served with anything else and so ordered them. Were they ever disappointed when the waffles were served with pancake syrup.
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 1 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Whip egg whites until soft peaks form, set aside.
- Beat egg yolks, cream, melted butter, and buttermilk in a separate bowl.
- Mix dry ingredients and stir into the buttermilk mixture until well blended.
- Scoop out 1/4 cup of the mixture and set aside for the sauce.
- Now gently fold the egg whites into the rest of the batter.
- Pour 1 cup of batter into a hot waffle iron and cook until golden brown.
- Yield: 4 belgium waffles.
Sweet White Sauce:
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup waffle batter, that was set aside.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 cup milk..for mixing the batter, sugar and flour.
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Pour 2 cups milk in a microwave safe bowl and cook in microwave until milk is hot.
- Whisk waffle batter, sugar, flour, and 1/2 cup milk until smooth and add to the hot milk.
- Continue to cook for 2 minutes, then stir.
- Repeat till mixture has thickened.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Scoop white sauce over hot waffles and top with fresh peach slices. I sprinkled a bit of sugar over the peach slices and let sit for a few minutes before serving.