We are just back from our annual camping trip to the mountains where there is no cell phone reception and no wi-fi. What we do have is a cozy trailer where we sleep better than we do at home since there are no chores waiting for us when we wake up. I enjoy baking in that little kitchen and find that blessing our camping neighbors with treats from my trailer oven is both fun and a great way to make new friends. I made these breakfast rolls and shared them with a couple from Germany who was on their honeymoon and touring beautiful British Columbia in a rented motorhome.
Whether you bake these at home for special breakfast or in an RV, they will be welcomed by your neighbors where ever you live.
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- 1/2 apple, shredded
- 2 tablespoons soft or melted butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Stir together the flour, salt, sugar and baking powder and cut in shortening with a pastry blender.
- Beat the egg in a small bowl and add the whipping cream and then stir both together into the flour mixture. Stir until combined.
- Roll into a rectangle and spread with melted butter, sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon and then the shredded apple.
- Roll up starting from the longest side and cut into 16 - 1 inch slices. Place on a greased cookie sheet and bake about 20 minutes or until light brown and set. In the trailer I bake them on two 9 X 11 foil pans. In a conventional oven they would fit onto one cookie sheet
While still warm, ice the rolls with a with a simple icing made by mixing together icing sugar and whipping cream until it is a spreadable consistency. Serve warm.
There is a contest winner to announce today as well!
Did you enter the contest that we had posted on our sidebar?
Our publicist Graf-Martin Communications hosted a contest in honor of our new cookbook Celebrations.
Mimi from Markham Ontario entered the contest and made Betty's Layered Lemon Loaf.
Her entry was chosen and she has been sent her gift pack.
If you haven't ordered your cookbook yet..